Football Index have unveiled their newly updated Match Day Scoring Matrix for the coming season. Along with adding some new point scoring events, some existing areas have been given a tweak to score more or less points.
The changes emanate from trader feedback, which is always good to see.
There have also been some further updates to other areas of the platform, which we will look at in further detail later in this article.
Let's begin by taking a look at the updated Scoring Matrix. Some of the key updates are as follows:
- Assists are now worth more points (20)
- Goalkeepers now have more point scoring opportunities.
- Key Passes are now included along with Attempted and Successful Dribbles
- Champions League and Europa League games now have a 1.25 multiplier
Those all sound like very positive improvements and additions. We particularly like that Football Index have thought to include the 1.25 multiplier for Champions and Europa League games. Previously, we had seen winners on European enhanced game days going to standard league games being played on the same night.
Due to the large number of additional new events, the Scoring Matrix has been split into sections such as 'Attacking', 'Defending', and 'Faults' to make it easier to digest. Below are Football Index's own infographics displaying the new and updated events across all sectors.
Naturally, the addition of some of these new events has seen traders flock towards those players with high dribbling and assist stats. There has also been a steady increase amongst goalkeepers, as expected.
It will be interesting to see if the new Scoring Matrix effects previous high performers in the Match Day rankings and which players benefit the most.
Moving onto the other pieces of news included in the update, as fully expected, In-Play Dividends will continue through next season, with the current payout structure still in place. For any newcomers, a quick recap of In-Play Dividends: For the first 30 days you own shares in a player, they are eligible for In-Play Dividends. These are:
- 1p per Goal for a Forward or Midfielder
- 2p per Goal by a Defender or Goalkeeper
- 1p per Assist by any position
- 1p for a Starting Goalkeeper Clean Sheet over the full game
Next on the agenda, Match Day and In-Play Dividends will now be available for the Qualifying and Finals of the UEFA European Championship. This is a nice additional bonus and should help keep things interesting during the otherwise dull international breaks.
There has also been a small update on the anticipated expansion to allow all footballers on the Index to be eligible for Media dividends. Initially, this was planned to be included from the start of the 2019/20 season, however this has now been pushed back to an estimated date of 1 October 2019. Whilst it's a little disappointing that this won't be ready for the new season, we're happy that Football Index are taking extra time to make sure there are no issues with the change.
Finally, we have a very welcome update to how a footballer's position will be clarified on the Index. Previous issues had seen players quickly switch from one position and then back again due to international squad listings. The new system will introduce a ‘waterfall’ hierarchy for positions, which you can see below:
- Domestic League Position – will cover the vast majority of footballers. If a footballer has a ‘domestic league’ position this will only update with Opta domestic league data feed
- European Competitions Position – for those few footballers that don’t have a domestic position in our feeds. This is to include Champions League and Europa League.
- International Competitions Position – for the remaining footballers not caught by the above two feeds.
- Manual Intervention Position – Football Index will enter manually in the very rare absence of any relevant feed.
Overall, this feels like a very positive update by Football Index and we hope that it will help eradicate a number of issues and complaints that traders had been voicing.
NOT YET SIGNED UP TO FOOTBALL INDEX? NEW USERS GET £50 CASH BONUS WITH OUR EXCLUSIVE FOOTBALL INDEX NEW CUSTOMER OFFER!